Monday, June 20, 2011

Halftime Report - January to June

I'm almost six months in towards finishing up this year - trying to see 39 birds in each of the 39 counties Washington.  All things considered, it's been a good start to the year - I haven't been lost... too badly... yet.  No car problems during any trips... no accidents or tickets... (is anyone knocking on wood yet??).  217 species of birds for the year, 13 life birds, 27 counties visited, 22 counties where I've reached 39 birds for the year (16 of them over 50, and King almost to 150). 

I'm finishing up school work this week, and will be heading off on an 8 day road trip.  This will take me through 25 counties, all told, including ten that I haven't visited yet.  I'll be spending a good chunk of time in the NE corner (Ferry, Stevens and Pend Oreille), then to the SE corner (Asotin, Garfield, Columbia, Walla Walla), and then hitting the South-central counties of Klickitat and Skamania before heading home.  There's 20 or so birds out there that I've never seen in my life that I could encounter, and 9 counties where I've done no birding before. 

Needless to say, I'm a little excited.  :)  In the last few weeks, I've been getting my camping supplies together, meeting with people who've visited these spots - emailing, and checking eBird.  Bre has tolerated it all pretty well, and even went shopping with me for a new GPS.  The cord frayed on the loaner, and it was an oooold model.  A lot of planning has gone into it, and fingers are crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment